Followers

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Adding interest to your colouring

Here is a little montage of ways you can add a bit of fun to your colouring!

Lets start with a simple stamp
I have used
Say it Loud! by Art Impressions



It's OK like this, but a bit boring don't you think!!

So to jazz things up a bit I started by stamping it out on Copic suitable card stock using 
Memento Angel Pink, so that I could use the no lines technique
and cut it out using a stitched circle die by Lil'inker Designs


Now I started by creating a background using my "Squiggly Wiggly" method!
Basically you start with your base colour, in this instance B0000 and cover the whole area using the standard Copic circular motion.

You then add squiggles of a darker shade, in this case B000, going over it with the lightest colour to soften the squiggles if necessary. 

Don't get heavy handed with this, light, delicate squiggles work best.


 I finished with a layer of B00 squiggles, softened by B0000 applied in a circular motion as before.


A - B0000 applied in a circular motion
B - B000 squiggles applied to three quarters of box, softened with B0000 
C - B00 squiggles to top left of box
D - Squiggles softened with B0000 applied in circular motion

This technique works best with the palest shades in any of the colour families.

Now the real fun begins.......
time to play around with your image!


I started by giving each word a 3D appearance, achieved by simple shading, but hey, it's still a bit boring and I like to have fun when colouring.....


I'll show you a close up in a minute, but here is a list of the colours I used for each word

SING: B21, B23, B24, B26
DANCE: B01, B02, B04
LAUGH: B91, B93, B95, B97, 0
LOVE!: B12, B14, B16
shadows applied using N1, N2, N3


DANCE: random dots applied using darkest colour B04
LAUGH: spots created using 0 to remove colour 
LOVE!: Stripes drawn using B16 and B14 mindful of the 3D colouring

I hope you have found this tutorial interesting and whether you try the Squiggly Wiggly background or add a pattern to your images, above all have fun when using your markers!!

Happy Colouring

No comments: